Monday, May 16, 2011

15 May 2011

Thanks for the emails. It sounds like everyone is doing well. Wow, this keyboard is great – all the letters are still printed on all the keys and none of them stick after using them!

This Sunday we had stake conference. It’s weird that we’re in May and I’ve already attended two stake conferences. Our ward mission leader was in charge of the choir. So to help him out we practiced one or two times after church with him. It was originally a branch choir, but it turned out to be a stake choir. We sand “I’ll Go where You want Me to Go” and “The Day Dawn is Breaking.” And thanks to that I got to sit next to President da Silva. He was surprised to see us up there. It was cool to sit on the stand. It’s a lot more quiet up top. I didn’t hear any disruption at all. I can see how it would be easier to feel the inspiration as a speaker to say what the Lord would want said. President da Silva spoke and the counselor to the temple president – Brother Kenney who served here at the same time as Grandpa. He finishes his mission in one week. They talked a lot about missionary work. That was cool. A recently returned sister from the stake gave her testimony. Just by listening I could tell she was a really good missionary. That was confirmed when President da Silva said he would have liked her in his mission. I know he doesn’t say that about everyone. I think that could be one of the most powerful compliments one could receive.

So last week we got an interesting email forwarded to us from the area presidency. In the email it said to print out the attachment and treat it as scripture. It was a 12-week study schedule to train new missionaries. It allows us an extra hour of companion studies every day except P-day and the day we do our weekly planning. It’s focused on the eight new focuses we have. It’s been cool following a new study plan. I’m wondering if this is something that came from Elder Arnold and maybe if it works it’ll be used worldwide. It’s a trainer and his new companion study program, but right now the whole mission is doing it. Cool.

And last night as we studied a bit I learned something cool. In John 14:26 it talks about how the Holy Ghost brings all things to our remembrance. That made me think of the sacrament prayers that say if you remember Christ you can always have the spirit. It becomes either an upward spiral or a downward spiral. If I remember Christ, the Holy Ghost helps me remember him more and better and that gets me the Holy Ghost more which helps me be more purified. But it works the same in reverse. Cool.

I think that’s it. Thanks for the prayers and letters. I love you all lots.

Elder Whitaker

No comments: