Monday, February 8, 2010

8 February 2010

Hey everybody,

Today I got an email from Elizabeth. That was cool. I’m looking forward to having a new sister when I get back to America. It will be cool having a relative that has never been mean to me again. I remember when Megan was never mean to me, but then she did something mean and couldn’t be in that club anymore. Elizabeth, enjoy the “Never Offending Jeff Club” while you can.

So, what happened this past week? It was kind of discouraging, because of the six people we wanted to see at church, zero came. And it’s hard to visit all of them because the fixed schedule isn’t an invention that’s big in Uruguay. So that’s kind of what we’re praying for now, a family with a fixed schedule and time and desires to listen to the missionaries. But we know we’ll be blessed because we’re being really obedient, and we’re really trying. One thing that I’ve been happy with these past two weeks with Elder Stilwell is we’re really going the extra mile in our daily contacts. President has asked for 140 weekly, and these last two weeks we’ve broken 200. Yeah!!!!!!

So like three times Mom has asked how long Elder Stilwell has been on the mission and I forget to tell her. He has five months, two in Argentina and three here. He was in Durazno for his first area just like me. And this is his second area just like me. This is his third transfer here and it’s my sixth.

So the other day I was thinking about testimonies and I realized I don’t know how all my siblings got their testimonies, and I don’t really recall how Mom and Dad got theirs either. I would really like a letter where everyone tells me how they got their testimony.

I got my testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith one night when I was 12 years old. I was reading the scriptures each night to complete Duty to God requirements and I was writing in my journal for Duty to God. Earlier that day I went to a Duty to God fireside. This one night I was reading in 2nd Nephi and I wanted to pray. I got an answer I couldn’t deny, and then I wrote about it in my journal. I forgot that happened for about 5 years, then one day reading my journal I remembered. I know the Book of Mormon is true because the prophets and church leaders instituted the Duty to God program.

I’m sure Elizabeth didn’t know that about me and I’m sure others didn’t know either or forgot. Now you know. I’m so grateful to be able to help others get their own testimonies.

Oh, and Brad, IF you get married before I get back, the “Never Offending Jeff Club” can have two members. Just remember that the Spirit will indicate what you should do.

I love you all, besos, hehehe, o sea, jajajaja
Elder Whitaker

1 comment:

Becky said...

I debated leaving in the first paragraph or not, because I didn't want the world to know that Megan had been mean to Jeff. I decided to leave it in, however, because it showcases Jeff's personality so well. And I'm positive that the "mean" thing Megan did was not really horrible and psychologically scarring. I suspect it was something like snitching a french fry off his plate or hiding behind a door to scare him.

I wonder what it was that I did to get booted out of the club!!??