Monday, February 22, 2010

22 February 2010

Thanks for the emails. The week was a tough one. We worked really hard.

So, with the new email, I got all the emails you sent today, so what you’re doing is working. I know less about it all than you do because I have 30 minutes on this thing every week and I’m not going to waste it figuring out how it works when I could be writing something.

So, something cool that happened this week is I made French toast with homemade maple syrup. I didn’t even know I knew how to make all those things, but I had what I needed and it worked. And I really enjoyed it all. It reminded me of home and how good Steven and Michelle have it.

So, one thing I was wondering is what were some of my brothers’ favorite scriptural thoughts to share during the mission. I told you guys some of my favorite ones last week, and just wanted to know some of yours.

And I have a question for my brothers that served already. One thing I’d like to better in my life right now is to have more meaningful prayers. What did you guys do during your missions to have meaningful prayers? It’s hard to find quality time at night with planning and calling the district and everything. I’d like some suggestions, but we’ll see what happens between now and next week.

So Mom asked how my studies have been. I haven’t written anything I’ve been studying in a while. So I’ve been looking in the scriptures for answers to my problems. The problem here is like what the sisters in Valrico are facing – no one lets us in, they don’t progress, and they don’t come to church. So, here’s the answers the scriptures gave me.

Helaman 10:2-5. Nephi faced the same problems. He worked hard and the Lord gave him the sealing power. I was likening the scriptures to me, so . . . I might have just got the sealing powers. . . . The next scripture I found was D&C 117:13. It says our sacrifice is more important to the Lord than our increase. I learned that what I can do to increase the church in any manner is not as important to the Lord as my sacrifice. And in 1 Samuel 15:22 the Lord says that obedience is more important than sacrifice. And we’re being obedient.

So, basically, we don’t see visible success, but that doesn’t matter, because we’re happy. We’re way tired but we always finish the day happy. It’s cool. As soon as the Lord wants us to baptize a ton we’ll be ready for him.

Okay, that’s all the things I planned on telling you. I feel like I wasn’t too focused this time because the other elders are talking behind me. I’m trying to listen to them and write at the same time. It’s kind of tough.

But I love you all. Thanks for the emails. Steven, I love how you dominate Spanish, you crack me up. Michelle, stay beautiful and try teaching Steven to swing dance. It will help both of you. That way Steven doesn’t have to dance with the other girls.

And I think that’s it for now. We’re going to go to McDonald’s now and celebrate Pday.

Love Elder Whitaker

No comments: