Monday, November 16, 2009

16 November 2009

So Mom, I took money out of my account because I bought a bike this week. Our area takes 20 minutes to walk to from our house, and longer to get to our appointments. Maybe I can send a picture some day. The tuko turned out very well. I’m learning a lot about cooking. And yes I shared with all the elders. With 200 pesos we can all eat very well when you actually cook something. It’s like 10 dollars.

And Mom asked if I am developing my piano skills. Kinda. Every now and then I’ll have some extra time in the chapel to practice, but I’m still not good enough to accompany anyone. But it just so happens that this week I started learning the guitar. It’s really not that hard. I was practicing with chords and I know like 4 or 5. I learned the hymn “Testimony” and although Dad won’t approve I practiced on some country songs that Elder Jones has. We’ll see if I can develop this talent, although I don’t really have much time to do so.

So my companion is from Honduras, Elder Ferman. He has a bit less than a year in the mission. And the other 2 elders are the zone leaders, Elder Brown and Elder Jones - from Utah and Missouri respectively. I love Elder Brown and Elder Jones. Elder Jones reminds me a ton of Brad and it just shows me how much the Lord knows me and what I need and when I need it. Elder Jones is the one who has a guitar and is teaching me. He says he will give it to me too when he goes home. Cool.

Brad I got the letter from you last Monday. Thanks a ton. It’s what I needed to hear.

And David, I love your story. I had almost the same thing happen this week. Except I was pondering what I should do to solve this problem I have. I was looking in the scriptures for answers, but I didn’t find a solid answer, so I went to my room to pray. As I knelt the church music was playing and the words were ´´I know he’s smiling down on me¨´. God knows what we need. When I do my best I have total confidence that God is smiling down on me. Everyone can have this confidence.

So I’m really excited for this Friday. We’re having a conference with both Uruguayan missions with Elder Bednar.

But thanks for all the prayers. Thanks for raising me in a home where obedience was expected. Not every missionary had that blessing.

I love you all, Elder Whitaker

No comments: