Monday, January 11, 2010

11 January 2010

So, what happened this week? I went on a companion exchange with a good buddy from my BYU ward. That was way good. We have a lot in common and we talked about doctrine all day. It was very edifying. It’s interesting because Dad sent a thought about Abraham and his obedience and trial. This elder told me about these Abrahamic trials that everyone is supposed to pass through. It was something to think about that I never really heard about.

And it was interesting that Brad warned me about robbers this week. I don’t think most missionaries write home about this stuff, but I’m not like most missionaries. We got robbed. They broke into our house while we were out. It’s interesting that this day I was on this interchange and I happened to have my camera and all my money with me, two things that don’t happen all the time. I’m doing my best and God protects me. But don’t worry, we’re fine.

So here’s something interesting that doesn’t happen every week. A brother in this ward is going on a cruise in February and going to Miami and Tampa. He’ll be in the Tampa airport flying back. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to connect with him and send me some cool stuff. I could get you the information. But I know it’s harder than it sounds and Dad will shoot it down. I know you’re trying to spend less and I don’t need anything. And I don’t know the customs laws that make that expensive. It would be cool though. . . .

So here’s an idea I had the other day while reading my patriarchal blessing. Dad will probably shoot this idea down too, but in True to the Faith it says you can share your blessing with immediate family members. I’ve never shared mine with any immediate family members and I’ve never read any of yours. And most patriarchal advice is just commandments that everyone should be doing, and most blessings are valid to everyone that’s obedient. So my idea would be to make a Whitaker family semi-patriarchal blessing. It would be very interesting to see what God is counseling us to do and then we could help each other to do it. It would be a really cool FHE. Too bad everyone isn’t together any more.

And another thing I was studying this week was joy and happiness, from Alma 27ish. In the Guia de las Escrituras, if you look under felicidad it sends you to gozo. And gozo sends you to obedience. Happiness, joy and obedience. Wickedness never was happiness, Alma 41:10. Obvious. And true joy comes only to the truly penitent and those that seek happiness. True repentance and obedience brings joy. The Guia says that true repentance is born from love of Jesus Christ. It’s amazing. I love studying the scriptures.

Yeah, nothing else really happened this week. Kind of boring. Thanks for all the emails. Thanks for all the prayers. Thanks for being examples. But I love you all. I’ll write you again when I’m 20 years old.

Elder Whitaker

No comments: