Monday, March 1, 2010

1 March 2010

Thanks everyone for the emails. Thanks for offering advice and answering my questions. It’s a huge difference as a missionary when your family writes things that can uplift someone rather than things that make you miss home. It’s a shame that lots of people don’t have a family where this type of communication works.

But what did I want to tell everyone? First, congratulate Steven on his new level of nerdyness. I noticed you didn’t even bother comparing scores with me. I’m excited that you’ll be able to help me at college. Both with homework and buying me food. I sure earned it. . .

But seriously Steve, I’m glad you enjoyed giving a talk. I love giving talks too. It’s interesting to me that you spoke about honesty and integrity. And brace yourself, because I’m about to pay you a huge compliment. A few weeks ago I found a scripture and wrote your name next to it – D&C 124:15. Everyone should know that Steven has the most integrity of anyone I’ve ever met. If anyone should be giving a talk on that topic, I’m glad it was him. You’re welcome Steven.

So I learned something cool this week. I have a leadership position as a missionary. Knowing that I’m a leader helps me be a better missionary. I know people are watching. One thing that I would often worry about is the fact that one day I will be a father. I often wondered if I would ever do stupid things as a father. But it’s really cool to me that being district leader is a lot like being a father. If this calling makes me a better person and helps me to “watch myself” (Mosiah 4:30), the calling of a father will probably have an even greater impact on me. It was an interesting thought I had. Maybe Dad or Mom can comment about his idea that I had and tell me if I’m close or way off the mark.

Another thing I learned this week is that the message we share as missionaries is the most important message that there is. This week I’ve made an effort to tell more people that. The result is different than I expected. Saying this doesn’t make more people listen, but it does make me mean what I say, and it makes me sad when and if they reject their opportunity to learn more. I hope that eventually the people will see the sadness in my eyes and maybe that would help them realize or soften their hearts. Who knows?

And Mom, I talked about obedience and sacrifice last week. I think I mentioned 1 Samuel 15:22. Interestingly enough, President da Silva shared that scripture this week at zone conference. That was interesting.

Happy birthday to all those that have birthdays this month. Is Megan’s birthday this month? I feel bad because I really don’t know when it is. Happy 22nd Brad.

Well, I think that’s it for this week. I love you all. Enjoy the email. Choose the right. And right me letters. . . . (I just thought that right now and spelled right wrong on purpose. . .)

Love, Elder Whitaker

No comments: