Monday, April 26, 2010

26 April 2010

First off, thanks for the email, Weston. “Be the missionary Mom thinks I am” was some of the first advice I got from my mission president in the mission.

Also, thanks a ton for the birthday package and wedding package. I got them both this week. I would like to send some photos but we’re pressed on time today.

I really appreciate Grandpa’s missionary journal. Words can’t describe what it’s like to get to know my grandpa through his mission experiences. Words can’t describe what it’s like to walk in the same cities that he visited, ride busses on the same roads he did, and associate with the descendents of the people with whom he associated 50 years ago. On Sunday at district conference a counselor in the Montevideo Temple presidency spoke. He served here in Uruguay 50 years ago. I asked him if he would have known Grandpa. His name sounded familiar – Richard A. Kenny. I found his name later that night in Grandpa’s journal. Grandpa baptized an Amaral. I baptized Nilsa Terra Amaral. She’s like 75 years old. Can you believe that? It’s overwhelming. I hope you’re doing okay, Grandpa. I hope this raises your spirits.

So, my companion and I saw a miracle this week, lots actually, but one in particular. I always loved the story of the brother of Jared. Jared is a thinker and his brother has a ton of faith and spirituality. I wanted to try what they did. One day this week I had a righteous desire to find a family to teach. I told my companion to pray that we could be able to find a family to teach that day. And we did. We were in an area where I had never been and a grandma let us in and two of her granddaughters were there. We’re going back later.

This will be the last you hear from me before the wedding, so Happy Marriage Dave and Elizabeth. I love you lots. I’ll wear the tie on Saturday.

But I think that’s it for now. The church is true. It’s an awesome feeling to know that on the same exact streets where Grandpa’s testimony was sealed to him, mine is being sealed to me. I hope that future generations will be able to know how this feels one day.

Love, Elder Whitaker

1 comment:

Dan and Janice Hegerhorst said...

Sis. Whitaker, My name is Hna. Hegerhorst. My husband and I are serving in the Montevideo Mission also. Your son is in our zone right now. He is a great young man. We are enjoying getting to know him. He gave me your blog address. I'm always trying to come up with different recipes to try on hungry missionaries. If there is anything we could do for your son for you just let me know. If there was a favorite cookie or something I could try to make it for him if we have the ingredients in Uruguay, and I could surprise him. You can email me at janicehegerhorst@gmail.com or check out our mission blog dnjhegerhorst.blogspot.com. Also I noticed you have the old mission office address on your blog. That has changed to;

Montevideo Uruguay Mission
Dalmiro Costa 4635 Bis
C.P. 11400 Malvin
Montevideo,
Uruguay

I look forward to making some of your recipes! Hna. Hegerhorst