Monday, October 18, 2010

18 October 2010

Wow, do you know what just happened this week? I got a letter from everyone – every parent, brother, sister and sister-in-law. What did I do to deserve this blessing? There were so many letters I won’t even try to read them now; I’ll print them out and read them later. But I hope everyone is doing well.

Mom, I got my absentee ballot letter thing in the mail. Could you send me who you’re voting for so I can copy you. I’m uninformed and really don’t care much right now. You sending me information is option #1. The other option is I can let my companion vote for me. It would be a good opportunity for him, maybe a once in a life time opportunity. And could you let me know when I need to get that sent by and how to send it. I think postage is free, but I don’t know if that will fly with the Correo Uruguaya.
So the miracle of this week was we baptized a family. We had 3 baptisms Saturday. It was really cool. The father is Robert. He’s a computer programmer, kind of rare to find in Uruguay. His latest work has been designing apps for ipods. He loves the computer and for the first time in my life I could see someone use mormon.org the way the brethren wanted it to be used. He was all over general conference and the Mormon Messages. He even put some on a cd for us to use. The cool thing is that we could baptize a family, and even better, future leaders of the church.

What made this experience even better was the fact that it all happened with Elder Vargas. A year ago when we were together we had zero baptisms. We worked hard, really hard. I learned this week, more powerfully than ever, that the Lord blesses us when we work hard in his cause. Sometimes the blessings come a year later, but the Lord will always keep his word. There’s a cool scripture in D&C 58 I think that talks about this – left hand page left column in Spanish.

But I think that’s it. I love you all. Thanks for the prayers and support.

Love, Elder Whitaker

No comments: