Monday, April 11, 2011

11 April 2011

This week was good, but there’s a lot of opposition. The bapsisms that we were supposed to have last Saturday will be postponed even more. Now they’re married, but aren’t going to church and still smoking. We really need the spirit now to find out what their real problem is. The first excuse never is the real problem.

But we did have an investigator at church yesterday. Her name is Silvia. She’s 15 years old. Her cousin, Javier, just got married to Valeria, and Valeria got baptized our first week here. She’s good. We don’t really have to do much to keep her going.

So Sunday morning at 3:30 AM something interesting happened. What was a drippy pipe behind the sink became a fire hose. I’m in the middle of a wonderful dream when my companion wakes me up with the lights on asking for help. We worked all we could to get that thing to stop. We live behind the owners and we didn’t know where the water line was. We thought it was the same water for the two houses because there’s just one bill. After a while and a few prayers, Elder Peña grabs a white pencil and sticks it in the wall. He fixed it. Cool. It worked for more than 24 hours. And today we fixed it for real. The owner loves us because we didn’t make him do it. That was the adventure for the week. So I decided today that it was time to follow the advice President Uchtdorf gave in the priesthood session. if I don’t do it now I’ll forget. So I read D&C 20 today and I still have to read 84 and 107 and 121. I learned a lot. I didn’t realize it talks so much about baptism in the Doctrine and Covenants – the doctrine of the priesthood.

I gave a talk in sacrament meeting. My companion and the branch mission leader did too. I spoke about the doctrine of Christ, 2 Nephi 31 and 3 Nephi 11, and the conversion of Sanford Porter Senior. In Preach My Gospel it says that the best way to help members trust you as a missionary and have enthusiasm for doing missionary work is to help them understand the doctrine of Christ. That was the idea behind the talk.

We found a new family this week. We’ll see what happens with them. I’m still finding all the different references to hearts in the Book of Mormon. I’m on like the 5th page. I got to Helaman this morning. But I think that’s it. Thanks for everything. I love you all. Keep doing what you’re doing. I was going to send a picture or two, but the computer doesn’t read that I have my pen drive in it. Oh well.

Love, Elder Whitaker

No comments: