Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dilemma of the week...

So, something happened this week that i figured would be blog worthy. Let's try this out again.

Everything starts when my brother Dave says he got a TV for free and he doesn't need it. My dorm didn't have a TV, so I thought it would be a nice addition. Dave also has a Nintendo Gamecube that he never/rarely used and I asked if i could have that as well. Being such a nice brother he agrees to let me use it in my dorm. So I get all the gear back in my room and try to set it all up. The problem in setting it up was the TV was so old that its only input was the cable cord and the Gamecube used the tripple prong input cord. So I couldn't connect them. Bummer. So I realize that in order to fix the problem I needed to invest in either a cheap VCR or an adapter cord of some type. With some help from a computer-wiz neighbor I find what I need on Amazon.com, and made an Amazon ID and everything to get it for less than $10. Cool! The next day I was thinking about it and looking on-line still to be sure I bought the right thing and I found another problem. Nintendo originally made their Gamecube have 2 input slots on the back of the system: one for the 3 prong cord and one for the cable cord. A few years after production Nintendo realized that less than 1 percent of costomers ever used the cable cord input so they stopped making them with the 2 and only make them with one. It just so happens that the Gamecube I got doesn't have the input for the cord I just bought. So that made me a little frustrated, but after thinking about it a bit, I realized this has been good for a couple of reasons.

The first is I had a really busy week and I got the TV on Wednesday. If it had been working since then I would have no doubt been playing every night for the rest of the week. Which would have become a problem on Friday morning for sure. On Fridays I have no classes, so I always try to wake up early (7am) and lift, then I try to do something productive, then go to work. So if I happened to be playing games Thursday night I don't think I would've been able to get up to lift. Also if I was gaming I wouldn't have been able to do a physics practice test, which prepared me to take it Friday after I lifted. I wouldn't have gotten an 82/92 and that would mean I would still be worrying about it right now and getting ready to take it Monday.

Another good thing about the TV so far is it does pick up college football, so today I wasn't in the dark about all the sweet games that were played this week. I was able to work on some assignments and watch football making my Saturday productive also.

Well, that's the story. I hope you all enjoy how sorry my life is, when the dilemma of the week involves potentially wasting $10 and not being able to play videogames. Maybe I'll be able to find someone with an older Gamecube and trade them. That could possibly fix everything. That will be next week's dilemma...

2 comments:

Joseph Fluckiger said...

Hey Jeff, this is Brother Fluckiger. How the heck are you? Looks like you are having a great time at BYU. So was that an insanely awesome game against CSU or what?!! Anyway I think you are one of my favorite people ever. I can't help think about your melow even-toned humor without a smile coming to my face. Yes, we know Becca Fluckiger, your TA. She is my cousin. I'll tell her to give you an A. I'm sure she will because I'm her coolest cousin.

Dave said...

video games will be your downfall. academic probation, Jeff is on his way!!