Sunday, November 16, 2008

So something cool happened today. It was one of those times where you use something that you thought you would never need but have it anyheck. This might sound wicked at first, but it isn't. The item that i never thought i would use was a framed picture of Jesus. Let me explain:

Since I got to college I started cutting my own hair. For 2 reasons, when my brother Brad visited during Christmas his freshman year he had long hair and it looked ridiculous. I never wanted that to happen. The other reason is I love having a fresh hair cut. It just feels like getting a new face. (not that i've actually experienced that sensation, just a creative simile for all you english buffs.) And thirdly (for you english guys) because i'm not about to pay $10 for something i could do for free myself.

So I cut my hair and to do it I only have ever had one mirror and a buzz cutter. So that makes it real difficult to get the back, but i've just managed without another mirror and maned up about it. But today i set out to find a mirror and it only took me like 2 rooms to realize guys don't bring handheld mirrors to college. So i improvized and built a mirror with a picture of Jesus and a triple combination Book of Mormon! I took the glass cover off the frame because i saw it was a bit reflective and I was looking for a dark backdrop for it, and the Book of Mormon was about the same size.

So i finished my hair cut standing with my back to the big mirror, holding a cutter in one hand and a book of Mormon in the other, while looking at the glass on the book and manuvering it constantly so that my arm wouldn't block my view of my cutting. It's tough. But after hours of perservation and friends encouraging me the whole time, i finished and it looks good.

And for the record to eliminate confusion, the picture of Jesus was the item that I wanted to bring, but never thought i would actually ever need it. It wasn't my Book of Mormon.

3 comments:

jeffhead said...

That was sorta boring. Don't know why i wrote that.

Becky said...

Maybe you have to be the Mom to appreciate it, but I quite enjoyed your story. And I'm so happy your picture glass came in handy.

Dave said...

that's why you're the one with the skills around here.