Monday, July 20, 2009

20 July 2009

Family,

It’s so good to hear from you all. Thanks so much. That’s interesting that Dad gave a talk on holy temples and holy homes. This morning I think I read that conference talk – Sunday PM session by someone that isn’t a member of the 12 or First Presidency. I wanted to read it because today we’re going to clean the house really good because President da Silva and his wife want to visit all the houses. They will come tomorrow. I read it in Spanish in an effort to increase my language abilities. It helps a lot. I really started enjoying my personal study time. I learn more than I ever did back home. I wish it hadn’t been that way. I finished Our Heritage and there is some stuff in it that I love. I wish I had it in Spanish so I could share it with the members. I also love reading My Missionary Commission by Bruce R. McConkie. So good. I want that in Spanish too. I also learned that one of the prophets (don’t remember who) became fluent in Hawaiian in 3 months. That’s what I hope to accomplish. It’s possible and I have 2 months left.

Zone conference was awesome. I learned so much. I re-learned the 3 reasons for obedience: fear of punishment, desire for reward, and love of God. The first week in the mission the president asked every one why they were serving a mission. I was serving because I wanted blessings in my life, but I’m working on changing that. I’m here because I love my Savior. I can feel the power in this change.

So I’ve got a story from last Pday. I was going to cut my hair. I rigged up the mirrors, got the clippers and the converter, and started. In America the clippers make a nice buzz. With the converter there was barely any sound. This wouldn’t cut my hair. Foolishly, I removed the power converter and tried it. It sounded better, like home. I started and got my right sideburn and around my ear. Pow and smoke! Oh, tomatoe! I put on my beanie and went to the barber, explaining what happened and that I’m really not a stupid American. So good – the first time I ever went to a barber. Good stuff. During the whole ordeal I thought, “venga lo que venga, disfrutalo. (Elder Wirthlin’s Come what may and enjoy [love] it.) It makes for a good story.

And lastly, this is for Brad. When you’re about to leave, any thing that was way nice during the mission that you won’t need when you’re not a missionary, you can send to me. If there is any thing, I don’t know. It was just a thought. And mom, send a sweat shirt if you want to. I’ll live either way. But if you do send something, I made a list of things that would be nice to have that I don’t have – nothing urgent, just if you send something – cherry chapstick, a black sharpie, a big GermX, a tougher brush for getting dirt off shoes that won’t scratch the shoe, a lint roller, and a shoe horn. That’s right, I would like one of Dad’s million shoe horns. Never thought we’d see the day.

Well, love you guys. Thanks for the prayers. Oh, and if all goes right, we should have 4 baptisms in 4 Saturdays. The new mission goal is a baptism a week. That’s what we’re praying for.

Elder J. Whitaker

No comments: