Tuesday, August 3, 2010

2 August 2010

So, this week was really good. I learned a lot. I finished reading the May conference Ensign and the New Testament. It was one of the best studies I've had in my life. It was good to study the most recent prophetic counsel - the Lord's most recent counsel to his children. I was impressed with the focus about personal revelation, families, and Jesus Christ. My testimony of the resurrection was strengthened. I knew before, but now I know better. Something that really called my attention was Elder Hales' talk. He said to parents that their children are their most important investigators. That made me think. I am teaching lessons to my investigators as often as possible, hopefully like 3 lessons a week. I try to invite members. A golden investigator can get baptized in around 4 weeks. I compared that with my personal investigation and journey towards my baptism - 8 years of church, thousands of prayers and lessons, structured and unstructured, and then 11 or so years of retention lessons. Is there any wonder I am where I am now? Thanks Mom and Dad for being great missionaries. I'm sure this thanks comes from all of us.

And, Brad, ironically on Saturday I was reading Revelation 19 where it talks about the Lord's wedding. That made me think of you. Hehehe.

So here's a very interesting story. My first companion was from Argentina. He went home last September. Shortly after going home he moved to Montevideo and has had a girlfriend ever since. He has always been bothering the missionaries in his ward to get my phone number. Well this week he finally got it and called me out of the blue, and then he invited me to his wedding next week, and wanted me to ask President for permission to go. That was really weird, and should have never happened. But I asked President and got the answer I knew I would get, "NO." I just thought it was interesting that Brad and he finished their missions within a week of each other and got married the same way.

So, I shared my testimony last Sunday and the Spirit taught me something very important. Earlier in my mission I tried to avoid sharing my testimony on Fast Sunday saying that the members needed to be using the time. I learned that was a lie Satan wanted me to believe, and I repented. The Spirit told me to share my testimony and it was really cool. I shared the testimony David shared once, I think: A boy walked into a forest with a question, and the boy walked out with an answer. That answer changed the world. That forest became sacred and that boy became a prophet. How grateful I am for that boy.

Love, Elder Whitaker

No comments: