Monday, August 24, 2009

24 August 2009

Thanks for all the emails. I love them. Keep them coming.

Steven, I'm impressed. I can't believe you'll be driving to school without braces. I probably won't recognize your buff self when I get back.

And Dave, good luck in Panama and with your new calling. I probably have no idea how you feel, but it makes me think of yesterday at church. I taught Sunday School about the Sabbath day. I learned I would be teaching when I entered the room, but it turned out well.

Oh, I was thinking the other day, if you ever send another photo I think I would like one of my baptism. I think that would be neat. I got some pictures from Aunt Julie in a letter today. Thanks Julie, I miss eating with you guys.

Oh yeah, I have another story where I felt unqualified this week. We needed to do an intercambio on Friday so Antonio could get a baptism interview. I was sent to a city called Trinidad and my companion was Elder Wally. One week out of the MTC. We flew to Argentina together. Needless to say, we're not the strongest speakers there are. But wow, the day went perfectly. We were lost for a bit, but used our map and we learned a lot. I was able to share some of the tricks I've learned with Elder Wally.

We also went to Paso de los Torros for a baptismal interview for the sisters and I met Sister Wirthlin's friend, but I'm sure she told you that before I did. Oh, and I was wearing my glasses because we were traveling. I sleep well on the buses and don't wear the contacts. On regular days I wear contacts and they work well.

So the trial of the week was we didn't have power from Monday until Friday. There was a miscommunication with the offices in paying the bill. No micro wave, no fridge, no hot water and no lights. We managed. Our neighbors are a member missionary couple. They wired us a light and we showered at their house, but it got worse before it got better. Then I got sick with a cold because it rained all day Wednesday, but thanks to my Nyquil I survived and I'm feeling better. We got our lights back and we had a baptism. I'm happy again. Antionio is 18 and his story is cool. He's one of those people who stopped smoking in one day. Then 2 days before the baptism he was having doubts, but we resolved that through the help of the Spirit and he's doing well.

So Brad met the sister of my companion this week. That's awesome. (And to Brad, yeah, my comp dies [goes home] this change [transfer]. So I don't know if you'll meet him. You'll be leaving when he gets there.)
Good luck with school Steven and Michelle and Mom. I recognized a lot of the teachers you'll have. I set a really high standard for you guys to follow ... yeah right.

Thanks for your prayers. Thanks for everything. I hope this letter was a little more interesting than last week. Love ya lots.

Elder Jeffrey Bryan Whitaker

No comments: